[pianotech] Octaves & Unions

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 6 12:01:48 MST 2011

Keith,

On one recording I did about a year ago, I had exactly 1 hour to be done.
That was it.  The piano that was brought in (a grand rented from the local
store), was over 1/4 of a tone flat.  I had to remove the action and adjust
the damper stop rail. I had to tighten the screws on the hammer rest rail as
these were clacking when the hammers landed on it.  They were all completely
loose.  I had to fix squeaking pedals and fix some sticking keys.  Try doing
all of that in 1 hour and tuning and raising pitch on it too!

I raised it up to pitch QUICKLY using my EDT and then tuned the rest by ear.
I'm twice as fast without the EDT anyway.  Half of the time, by the time the
EDT hears it, I could have already had the note tuned or at least half way
there.

I agree with Israel completely.  Too much time can be and IS, wasted fooling
around with the EDT determining what we are going to do with "it" during
times like this, when all we need to do is use our ears, figure it out
quickly and then keep going until we're done.

In this case, it seems to happen in most cases, :) about 3/4 of the way
through the tuning, some yahoo in the lighting booth, decided it was time to
turn ALL of the lights on and, yes, you guessed it, the tuning began
drifting slightly.  I just kept going and in fact, I sped up!  I figured,
the sooner I was done, the more accurate to whatever it was going to wind up
being, the tuning would be.  And, yes, I did get the whole thing done in 1
hour.  Barely..

They told me, if the pianist comes in and smiles, you're in!  If not, you're
in trouble.  I just smiled.  The pianist came in, sat down, played it for a
while, smiling almost immediately and then, not only smiled but, talked to
me for a while. He said, great job man!!! Thanks a lot!!!  You betcha, I
said and I left...  Great feeling to hear that.

Anyway, there is a time for using an EDT and there is a time to just shut it
off and move on.  Our ears are always (or should be anyway) the final judge
regardless.

Jer