[pianotech] Joshua Bell - Piano Prep

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Sun Feb 6 15:00:41 MST 2011

Ryan,
The "shadow" cast on the technician is one reason I never maintained any technician relationship with piano dealers or house pianos unless I'm given broad service discretion.  I experienced an unfortunate incident many years ago when I was the exclusive technician for a local concert hall. Over the years the 1919 Steinway "D" in this hall had little service other than tuning. During a concert a wippen jack broke. The next morning the local newspaper wrote up an article about the wonderful performance but "shoot the technician". I told the management that if they wanted me to maintain their piano they would have to have it rebuilt. To my surprise, they did!

Local concert hall managers or franchised dealerships who provide performance pianos to the community are, for the most part, managed by people who have little knowledge and/or interest in the quality of the instruments they supervise.  And as such, I believe the reason I became so successful with my performance rental business when I came to town and put service at the top of the priorities with my products.  Renting and maintaining house pianos is best managed in the domain of the service industry, not the sales industry.
Roger Gable