[pianotech] Replacing dampers on a Steinway Upright

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Mon Feb 7 09:04:13 MST 2011

With respect to all, I do not duplicate what is there on these old Steinway
uprights because it is an inferior system for damping for the same reasons
as it is on most of the old uprights - the dampers are too small in the bass
and tenor portion of the piano to damp effectively.  We have many good
examples of good upright damping on modern instruments, from which we can
borrow the fundamentals.  When they were available to us techs, I would buy
the Yamaha U-1 or U-3 damper sets and modify them slightly to fit the 52"
Steinway upright I would be working on, and the damping would be
dramatically better -  much better shut off and little or no bass ghosting.
When we stopped being able to get the Yammy stuff, I started making my own
using the Renner bass dampers with the 3 blocks of bichord or monochord felt
along with the supply house round barrels for the mounting.  For the tenor
and treble, I would make my own pieces of tapering lengths and glue the
felts on and mount them on the barrels.  You would have to adapt the barrels
to fit the particular piano.  Now Pianoforte supply sells the Renner bass
damper felts, as well as treble split felts mounted on wooden blocks
(tapered through the set) that can be readily adapted, so there is even less
custom work now.

Think about it:  These old Steinway uprights have an overly complicated
damping system.  In addition to dampers that are too small to do the best
job of damping, you have 4 different styles of blocks to mount the felt on.
And you have those old underlevers that are, at this stage of the game,
wearing out and causing the head to migrate to one side.  So I find that I
am often replacing the underlevers at the same time.  That's new wire to
bend to mount and fit the replacement dampers and blocks.  The replacement
blocks from Tokiwa are really expensive, and still an inferior choice given
the alternatives.  So why not just change the whole system at this point?
There are usually 6 overdampers in the low tenor on these old beasts, and 4
or 5 of them don't need to be there if the head is of sufficient length.
Most of the time the only overdamper I need to keep is the lowest note in
the tenor where the bass strings crossing over along with the passing of the
hammer overhead require that the damper be too small to adequately shut off
the string quickly.  Pianoforte supply sells these overdampers also.
Sometimes I use an overdamper on the second note up from the break to quiet
it down, but never more than that.

Your materials cost are going to be lower even as you get significantly
better damping.  The barrel system to mount the heads is easier to adjust
than the blocks, which is why so many manufacturers use it these days.

By modern standards of damper system design, one could not say that these
pianos damped particularly well when they were new in 1902, even the
Steinways.  We know how to do it better, and it ain't rocket science.

Will Truitt