[pianotech] Replacing dampers on a Steinway Upright

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Mon Feb 7 22:37:46 MST 2011

Consider the tiny little dampers even on concert grands of 100 or so years
ago (not to mention square pianos!).  It would appear that damping
efficiency was not a great priority back then.  Of course, we can
significantly improve damping efficiency fairly easily, today.  As with any
design change, consideration must be given to preserving the original design
vs. improving performance.  I am generally inclined to improve performance
unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.

Frank Emerson