[pianotech] Cybertuner vs OnlyPure

Mr. Mac's tune-repair at allegiance.tv
Tue Feb 8 14:06:02 MST 2011

On Feb 7, 2011, at 8:15 PM, J Patrick Draine wrote:

> … CyberTuner is, as you already know, a very very nice software tool with a variety of options (pitch raise, Smart Tune, and Pianalyzer come readily to mind). You can customize the stretch, etc.
> OnlyPure is a one trick pony; strike that, maybe Arabian Thoroughbred is what I should say. Quite appropriate for big high quality pianos. No pitch raise program. As Keith mentioned recently, astonishing resolution that makes one suddenly very modest about one's tuning lever technique. Practice, practice, practice.
> I use RCT for most of my day to day work. When I've got a really, really nice piano to work on I may break out the OnlyPure. …

Patrick,

One trick pony, Arabian Thoroughbred comment…great analogy.

I did some things differently today because of all the information
   that has transpired on the Pianotech List this January and February.
So I decided to implement a different approach
   than that which I have been accustomed to doing.

It turned out to be rather exciting and informative for me.
Maybe some of the observations I experienced will help
   some of you to glean useful stuff from the following.

Subject: Baldwin M.
Pitch raised with RCT Smart Tune Mode
Final pass with OnlyPure

Here's what I learned today in as concise statements as is possible for me to make.
1) Strings that had false beats. OnlyPure looked right through them.
     No flutter in the display.

2) The very lowest bass strings readings were not as I would like.
     But that has been a difficult area at times with RCT as well.

3) Advances to whatever note you're playing most of the time
     somewhat like the Verituner.

4) I said in an early email with the Subject: OnlyPure (for ETD users only)
     "The equal temperament this software produces is unequaled."
     I would now like to modify that statement to this.
    "The overall sound of this piano sounded more proportional and musical."

5) There are two references to monitor when tuning:
     The triangles (yellow and green) as well as a numeric display.

6) It did exhaust battery life on the iPaq Classic 111 that I use
     at a much greater rate than RCT does. I would estimate 3x greater.

Additional comments:
The main three reasons I purchased RCT many years ago were:
The pitch raise feature, the advanced note feature, and
    the unavailability to upgrade from the Accutuner II I owned
    to the Accutuner III I wanted to own, but there was a delay
    in production for whatever reason.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern, RPT
http://www.ptg.org/chapters/oklahoma/