[pianotech] Refining Damper lift

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 14:57:37 MST 2011

Grand piano Keith.
David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com
(sent from bb)

-----Original Message-----
From: "Mr. Mac's" <tune-repair at allegiance.tv>
Sender: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 15:47:54
To: <pianotech at ptg.org>
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Refining Damper lift

On Feb 8, 2011, at 12:26 PM, The Davis Family (Mark, Janine, William, Stephen & Matthew) wrote:

> List,
>
> After the initial adjustment of the damper levers, in a grand, so that the dampers lift as one unit in general with the pedal and so that the damper begins to lift when the hammer is approx halfway to the strings, how does one go about the refinement procedure so that 1.  All dampers are lifted by the key when the hammer is halfway to the string.  I find it difficult to assess and know how to go about this refining.  And, 2.  All dampers move as one unit?
>
> I understand that one uses strips of paper of various thickness and that one might need to iron felt.  What I really would like to know is the process of assessing for refining and how one goes about the actual refining for damper lift to hammer and to pedal?

Mark,

Can't address the strips of paper you mention.
Doesn't make sense.

As to adjusting damper lift to the sustain pedal,
   the damper lever wire is adjusted.
As to individual damper lift to the individual key being depressed,
    the wippen spoon is adjusted.

Keith McGavern, RPT
http://www.ptg.org/chapters/oklahoma/
http://pianostuff.kamcam.com/