[pianotech] Backcheck height: how high is too high?

Malinda Dobrins dobrins at optonline.net
Tue Feb 8 20:02:57 MST 2011

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kurt Baxter
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2011 10:12 PM
  Subject: [pianotech] Backcheck height: how high is too high?

  This sounds very similar to my experience.

  The only effective way of increasing check distance with the WNG backchecks seems to be deeper insertion, not bending away from the tail. This is fine, so long as you got your calculations right the first time.

  What is the offical WNG target check distance?

  Can anyone think of a reason that checking at 1/4" (or even closer) would be a bad thing?

  At some point you have to start running into a tradeoff, right?

  -kurt