[pianotech] YC action bracket

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Feb 8 21:53:08 MST 2011

We all know about YC grand action brackets. But today I worked on a YC studio, with maybe the same problem. Never mind that the piano was 60 cents low, and that half the bridle straps had been eaten by mice. But as I was raising pitch, after replacing the straps, from about the middle of the piano on up, the hammers bobbled. When I got done with the pr, I checked key dip, and it was OK. Just lifting the wippen, showed that there was let off. But the piano wasn't paying right. It didn't even feel like shallow dip or no let off. Hammer blow was 1 7/8", a little more than I think it should have been, but certainly not out of the ordinary. I shimmed up the hammer rail about 3/16", and elimated lost motion, which took care of the bobbling, but the action still didn't quite feel right. Could it be expanding brackets?

I have replaced a lot of grand action brackets which had expanded. But I have never heard that this was a problem with upright action brackets.

Wim