[pianotech] Refining Damper lift

Mr. Mac's tune-repair at allegiance.tv
Tue Feb 8 23:47:11 MST 2011

> On Feb 8, 2011, at 12:26 PM, The Davis Family (Mark, Janine, William, Stephen & Matthew) wrote:
>

> … After the initial adjustment of the damper levers, in a grand, so that the dampers lift as one unit in general with the pedal and so that the damper begins to lift when the hammer is approx halfway to the strings, how does one go about the refinement procedure so that 1.  All dampers are lifted by the key when the hammer is halfway to the string.  I find it difficult to assess and know how to go about this refining.  And, 2.  All dampers move as one unit?
>
> I understand that one uses strips of paper of various thickness and that one might need to iron felt.  What I really would like to know is the process of assessing for refining and how one goes about the actual refining for damper lift to hammer and to pedal?

Mark,

1) Allowing all the key board felts are in good condition
    (front rail punchings, balance rail punchings, back rail cloth)
   and allowing key height and key travel are correctly adjusted,
   you get all the dampers to move as one unit by adjusting
   all the damper wires in the under lever top flanges
   until they move as one unit when lifted by the under lever frame
   while at the same time making certain the damper heads
   are aligned with their respective strings.

2) For individual key lift it is best to have the same
   thickness of under lever key cushions that will produce the results you want.
   Choose the correct thickness and that should eliminate
   for the most part individual shimming and ironing.

That's a start.

Keith