[pianotech] ETD Aural and Oldies

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Wed Feb 9 14:44:01 MST 2011

This is about the above subject.

I was in Alice Springs last week and the local ABC radio station wanted to
do another promo ? on piano tuning in Alice Springs.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2011/02/07/3131707.htm

I use an ETD to set a scale and tune by.  All unisons  are tuned by ear
except for the top 5 notes I use the ETD & ear combined. The lower bass is
checked and adjusted by 12ths. The treble I use either 4:1 or 4:2 depending
on how much brightness my customer wants. I use Tunelab.

I have included a MP3 of the interview and a photo of me for youse guys and
girls to have fun with.

Now I am self taught and I have got to admit that I could not tune a scale
by ear in equal  temper but, my customers used to say they enjoyed the
colour of the sound. (there are so many histerical tunings out there so I
guess I created my own)

I can remember a conversation with one top tuner (name withheld) who said to
me “ Now that most of the top concert tuners are using ETD’s it makes it
easier to follow there tunings.”

I found that when doing a tuning for a concert aurally I would tune the
treble octave a ¼ wave sharp (aprox) to get the sound I wanted. Is this 4:2
?

The best to you all,

Tony

Tony Caught