[pianotech] Replacing dampers on a Steinway Upright

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Fri Feb 11 03:24:49 MST 2011

You are welcome, Joe.  I measured the renner bass dampers yesterday - 57 mm
long.  Adequate for any 52 incher.  The length of the first 2 or 3 tenor
dampers is governed by the bass strings at the bottom and the need to clear
the hammer at the top.  I also think that wooden blocks are in the tenor
section as they add a bit of mass, which aids in damping.  If memory serves
me, you can get brass barrels from Pianoforte supply, but they are
expensive.

Will