[pianotech] Tuning pin pushing up tool for grand

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Feb 12 09:46:09 MST 2011

On 2/12/2011 9:56 AM, pianotech wrote:
> Someone, probably Ron Nossaman, once posted a picture of a homemade tool
> for pushing tuning pins up a little in the pinblock of a grand piano. I
> cant find it, and have just gotten a\n old Story &Clark grand with a few
> tuning pins with coils almost to the bushings. pins are tight, strings
> not to be replaced, so am looking for the quick fix tool.

> Anyone have the picture?

Yea, that was me. Here it is. It's just a machinists screw jack with a
1/4" drill rod pin in the end. To use it, it's placed in the action
cavity on a block of wood thick enough to get it to a usable height. The
pin goes in the hole to press against the bottom of the "correct" pin,
not the other one. This is somewhat important and trickier than you
might think, so check twice. Crank it up enough to put some pressure on
the pin, and turn the pin back a few degrees, then back up to where it
was. As it turns, it will rise in the block from the jack pressure.
Don't try to jack it up without turning it. You need the movement to
break the friction and allow it to rise.

>is this a bad idea?

Someone will without a doubt believe so without having tried it. I've
found it to be  handy in actual practice.
Ron N