[pianotech] P22 Sticky Keys

Dave Bunch davebpiano at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 19:26:09 MST 2011

A couple of weeks ago I serviced a new Yamaha P22 at a school I tune for,
the vocal teacher having complained of many sticky keys. And she was right.
Probably a half dozen were not returning at all and the rest all had excess
friction to varying degrees. There was tightness at the front rail bushings
as well as the balance rail, so I eased every bushing and applied ProTec to
all key pins. Also checked the action centers and found no excess friction
there. Then I checked and double checked all keys with the sustain engaged
and releasing the keys slowly. I wanted to be thorough since this school is
an hour away. I get a call today that just two days after I worked on this
piano, the keys were sticking again, just as bad as before! I can't hardly
believe it but I'm going to take her word for it. Has Yamaha changed
anything in their new pianos? Different bushing cloth our something? I am
probably going to have to eat this next service call so I want to get it
right. Am I missing something?

Dave Bunch