[pianotech] CA pinblock with tight bushings?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 20:38:33 MST 2011

At some risk of a less than precise explanation it's not an amplifier because no energy is added. The energy from the string is not boosted, it is converted to soundboard energy and the sound that is produced is not an amplification of the sound made by the string, it is new sound and unique sound produced by the soundboard Itself using the energy from the string. The sound is louder than the sound produced by the string (still present btw while the soundboard is doing its thing) not because it is amplified but because the nature of the soundboard having more surface area and more mass moves more air than the string is able to on its own. In conversions like this there is always net energy loss.  While the conversion of string energy to soundboard energy results in a more audible sound that's because the soundboard requires less energy to make a louder sound owing to its physical characteristics when compared to the string. And it's a good thing since the amount of energy that the soundboard ends up with will always be less than the string started out with. That the energy from the string gets converted to soundboard energy should not, however, be confused with amplification.

There may be a more scientific and precise way to describe it but I'm still working on my degree in kindergarten physics.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com
(sent from bb)