[pianotech] Amplification Definition. Was: ( CA pinblock with tight bushings?)

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Thu Feb 17 14:34:41 MST 2011

Hi, Nick.

Thanks for presenting this definition, I appreciate it, and I think it
is generally helpful. But I would like to raise some questions about it,
in the interest of clarity. I am not an engineer or physicist, but I am
a tech and musician who's been thinking about these questions for a long
time. I present these thoughts hoping to clarify and improve the
usefulness of your definitions, and I welcome your corrections to any
misstatements I might make, or misconceptions I may be trying to apply.
That said, ...

You say: "... thus in a broad but accurate sense the piano string’s
uncoupled and feeble attempt to excite large zones of air demonstrates a
very low amplitude."

If I may say, characterizing the string as attempting feebly to excite
large zones of air, puts the emphasis in the wrong place. The string is
not attempting anything, it's just vibrating. That its ability to excite
much vibration in air is small, is true. But coupling it to the
soundboard does not raise the energy level/amplitude of the signal. What
such coupling does do is propagate the vibration to many more air
molecules than the string can, due to the soundboard's much larger
surface area. But the energy was never feeble at all, in fact it was
always entirely sufficient to the task. It just needed to be transferred
to a material whose form and structure was better suited to moving air,
in order to transmit that vibrational energy to the listener's ear as
sound. But the basic form of energy, mechanical vibration, has not
changed - only the material or medium through which it is propagating
has changed. (Or so I would assert - is any of this wrong?)

Later you say: "Any device that converts one form of energy, say
vibrational, to another form of energy, say sound, is a transduction
device or transducer."

I think this statement obscures the fact that sound already IS
vibrational energy, and therefore there is no transduction needed. The
only difference between vibrating string and vibrating air is in the
material that is vibrating, metal to wood to air to eardrum. What IS
needed is efficient propagation of that vibrational energy, from the
source (string) through the bridge and soundboard into the medium (air)
which the soundboard provides. Of course, the soundboard is temporarily
the medium as well, but only as a link in the mechanical chain from
vibrating string to vibrating air to vibrating eardrum. Thus there is no
transduction or change in form of energy, only a change in the physical
characteristics of the vibrating material or body. (Or am I conflating
two actually different forms of energy? If so, what is the difference?)

Later yet you say: "We can say that the job of piano sound amplification
is to take the weak vibrational signal of the uncoupled string (low
amplitude) and “boost” it via coupling in order to generate a powerful
signal (high amplitude). It doesn’t matter that additional energy is not
present for this to happen."

Again, I would say that this mis-characterization as "weak" actually
confuses the issue, as the vibrational signal is inherently as strong as
it needs to be to cause its ultimate intended result, sound. It is only
"weak" in its ability to move air, due to its small surface. When we
connect it to a large surface, voila', without adding energy, we create
sound (vibrations in air) of much larger (apparent) amplitude. I am
saying that coupling does NOT "boost" the signal - it merely broadcasts
it much more effectively. Thus, the soundboard is less like an
amplifier, and more like a mechanical broadcast antenna.

You go on: "Still, an analog to electrical amplification exists in that
a ppp blow to a key can be barley audible; now add more energy with a
fff blow and we have increased amplitude, hence more amplification with
the attendant volume and power."

Here, I feel that the analogy to electrical amplification is also
confusing as presented, because amplification takes the SAME signal and
makes it larger, whereas your example contrasts a smaller original
signal with a larger original. This is not analogous, as it happens at
the source, not the broadcast end of the chain.

I do agree that it's perfectly acceptable to call the soundboard an
amplifier for purposes of explaining to lay customers what it does.

So, what do you think of these thoughts?

Thanks, and all the best,

-Mark Schecter, RPT