[pianotech] Bottom Board Material

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Feb 18 06:58:06 MST 2011

  If I was using a laminate, I would at least use "Sturdy-floor" plywood, it has all the gaps filled and is moisture resistant.   However, if you have a bunch of maple laying around, I would think three pieces, jointed together, would be preferable.

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/index.htmll

>>I will be fabricating a new bottom board for a customer's vertical piano (moisture/mold damage). Any opinions on the best material for the job?

 I suppose some sort of plywood. I am using a hardwood veneered gazillion-ply plywood for another project and am surprised at how soft it is - I don't think that will be the best thing.

 Or should I just make it out of a couple pieces of edge-glued (some sort of water-proof glue) hard maple? I have tons of that in my shop - I would have to make a trip to the lumber yard for plywood.