[pianotech] Bottom Board Material

James Sasso jwsasso at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 09:53:52 MST 2011

I once picked up an old pedal pumper player at a beach house shed that was
literally sitting in the sand. It needed a new bottom. All the players I've
bought and sold had hard wood bottoms painted flat black. I cut a piece of
plywood that matched the bottom dimensions and fitted it to the bottom.
Plywood can and does have interior holes, spaces, and more. When I put the
pedals for the trapwork back on, guess where the screws lined up! You
guessed correctly--right over interior unseen holes in the plywood. If
you've got the maple, I'd use that and depending on the age and type of the
piano, paint might work and definitely be easier than veneer. You might want
some customer input on that.
Jim
Atlantic Player Piano