[pianotech] Square Grand Pianos v.s. Square Pianos

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Mon Feb 21 21:57:25 MST 2011

On 02/21/2011 08:21 PM, Mr. Mac's wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2011, at 7:56 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>

>> Your problem, if you will, is to believe Wikipedia! (which, in a lot of people's opinion,
>> is not the know all/be all of proper definitons!)<G>
>> Academia has chosen to differentiate between
>> Full Cast Iron Plated Rectangular Pianos and those with
>> partial or no bracing with the two terms. It's not of my doing,
>> but it's the correct and accepted terminology IMO.
>>
> Joe,
>
> I only posted the Wikipedia link as an easy reference source.
> It has nothing to do with believing.
>
> How about the PTG as a credible reference source?
> http://www.ptg.org/resources-historyOfPianos-square.php
>
> You don't have a problem with that do you?

<snip>

I sure do - like I said before - I'm 54 - and NEVER heard of them
referenced as square pianos - always square grands.

Maybe, the thoughts need be in reference to the terms - grands - vs -
vertical / uprights. They definitely are not uprights - so they must be
grands.

OK, stirring the pot some more .......

Remember, I'm 54 - until I was associated with PTG, I - NEVER - heard of
upright pianos referenced as "verticals".

They were - always - referenced as - uprights - or - grands.

So where did "vertical" come from ??

Now to get the pot - really - boiling ................

Lest we not forget about the "giraffe" piano - Is it an upright or a
grand ???

OHHHHH - its BOTH - it has the plate and structure of a grand - yet - it
is standing "upright"

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 11 years