[pianotech] hammer mold (not molding, just mold)

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Tue Feb 22 17:33:02 MST 2011

That certainly looks like a healthy growth of mildew!

Your photo doesn't show enough to demonstrate why you think the pattern
suggests a spillage.  But from what can be seen in the photo, it looks
like a very orinary mildew growth to me, not necessarily connecte with
any spillage.

It is the kind of thing that can grow quickly when a set of condiions
arises, even very temporarily, which permits it.  When condiions change,
the mildew stops growing, but it doesn't go away. "Arrested mildew", I
sometimes call it. (I have sometimes come across old pioanos with old
mildew: it hasn't continued to grow, but the powdery fluff has remained,
and gradually discoloured with dust along with the rest of the
action!).  It could happen if, for example, the room is not much used,
but over a few occasions it had a number of guests in it and then when
they left, having breathed out moisture laden air all evening, the
heating is turned off in the room, and all the moisture in the air
condenses inside the piano.

I would just get a bottle of some proprietory mildew/mold cleaner from a
harware store, dampen a cloth with it, and clean up the hammers.  Unless
condions in the room favour it, the mildew will not re-grow.  If
condions in the room DO favour it, the mildew will propbably re-grow
irrespective of any retardants, and it will probably grow in the soft
furnishings too.  So it is worth making an investigation of how the room
has been or is being used.

I have cited here before, the example of customers of mine, whose small
grand piano in the front parlor suddenly got rusty strings, and a musty
smell in the room.. The front parlor wasn't used every day, and wasn't
kept heated.  They went from having an open fireplace in there, to
blocking off the fireplace and installing an electric heater. Formerly
they would light the occasional coal fire in the fireplace.  Since the
room was the coolest in the house, it was where any moisture in the air
from the kitchen, shower etc, tended to condense. When the fireplace and
chimney were open, there was circulation of air and no problem, With the
fireplace closed off, things quickly changed.

Anyway, let us know how you get on!

Best regards,

David Boyce.

I tuned a 1942 Knabe console for the first time today.  Nice sound,
pristine ivory keytops, and a healthy colony of mold growing on the
hammers.  The owner seemed sure the mold was not present the last time
the piano was tuned 2 years ago.  The pattern of the mold would suggest
that something was spilled or sprayed into the piano, but again the
owner denies any possibility of this.  The piano was in a room that was
fairly chilly but not overly humid (the piano is placed against an
outside wall).

I'm assuming the default would be to replace the hammers, although the
instrument probably isn't worth this.  But I thought I would check with
the hammer-experts out there to see if any other course of action might
be recommended.  It's been suggested that cleaning the mold and then
applying some sort of chemical mold-retardant (?) might work.  Any
thoughts?  Thanks.

Rob