[pianotech] Honky tonk tuning

Tom Gorley tomgorley88 at sonic.net
Tue Feb 22 22:34:44 MST 2011

I am a proponent of the unevenness of a honky tonk tuning. It's very nature is varying degrees of out-of tune-ness.  I would tune the piano and then let down one string by ear to the desired sound (some were raised).  I don't see why identical out-of tune-ness is required. When I did one for an opera group, they listened to and discussed if the sound was aromatic enough for the particular desired effect. Let your ear be your guide.  You don't need a PDA for this part.

    ---Tom Gorley

On Feb 22, 2011, at 7:05 PM, Barbara Richmond passed on this question from Robin Stevens