[pianotech] Profelt

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 10:19:35 MST 2011

I've used it for (re)sizing older key bushings. Seems to be of some benefit
-- better than it was, and better than doing nothing if you're not replacing
bushings. Also have used it on wippen felts to reduce/eliminate capstan
impressions. It seems to work some there, as hammer line is definitely
raised. However, I haven't used it long enough to know for sure how
long-term those effects are. I'm surmising from my limited experience that,
after a few months, key bushings are still somewhat better than before.
(Certainly, VS Profelt is not intended as a substitute for bushing/felt
replacement.)

Doesn't work to resize loose centers--they get looser.

When applying, I've found making multiple passes works pretty well. One or
two drops to "prime" the felt for more absorption later. Then go back
however many more times until it looks like the felt has absorbed all it can
(usually a total of 3 passes seems about right).

There was one set of balance rail bushings that came loose after
application. Ended up rebushing that rail (at my own expense since I dripped
the drops). I'm thinking the glue job wasn't good to begin with. No glue
failure on the few Japanese and Korean pianos.

When sizing key bushings, cauls are required for correct sizing, but you
probably knew that already.

You can call Pianotek for more information.

--
JF