[pianotech] Quick Quickbooks Question

Andrew Anderson anrebe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 07:49:17 MST 2011

You establish your "parts" as inventory, non-inventory (order-in
items) sold to customers, or as materials/supplies (written of
yearly).  When you establish the inventory/non-inventory (to sell)
items you indicate how much they cost (COGS) and how much you charge
for them.  Things like shipping etc. and inventory tax are expensed
out of profit separately.

Now that said, your accountant can be of immense help here.  Becoming
a tax expert annually has to really cut into your money-earning piano-
service time.  The fee you pay your account (choose an enrolled agent)
is tax deductible and gives you the best outcome every time.  I used
to be "independent" and do my own taxes searching up all the ways to
save.  I know how difficult this is to turn over to an expert but my
accountant turned my large liability into a comfortable refund in
short order.  The IRS says that most people who file, overpay.  Chew
on that for a bit.  You don't expect pianists to insist on tuning
their own pianos do you?  The Internal Revenue Code makes the Bible
look tiny, do you really think you are an expert in it?  Your
accountant will be familiar with Quickbooks.  It is one of the
industry standard programs out there and your accountant can walk you
through how to use it correctly and to your (and the accountant's)
best advantage.

YMMV
Andrew Anderson