[pianotech] After the fact, Mac, was Re: CA pinblock with tight bushings

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at frontier.com
Fri Feb 25 14:15:01 MST 2011

On 2/14/2011 5:56 PM, Mr. Mac's wrote:
> Anyhow, it will be interesting to see if you feel the same way about
> drilling those 228 holes after the fact.

Well, Keith, now that it's over and done, I feel even better about
drilling those 228 holes.   Taking encouragement and guidance from Joe G
and doc Douglas G, I chucked up a 1/16" jobbers bit in my Dremel and
drilled down through the bushings.  I started each hole in the seam
where the outside of the bushing meets the plate, and angled the bit as
close to parallel with the pin as I could get without contacting the
string coil.  In most cases, I drilled until I felt the bit leave the
bushing and enter the pinblock, but occasionally it would bind against
the side of the pin first, and I would stop short of the bottom of the
bushing.  I could have done better if someone had not tapped the pins
down until the coils were just above the plate.  Incidentally, this
caused the other end of the pins to protrude from the bottom of the
pinblock, eliminating any advantage to inverting the piano and applying
CA to the underside.  It took only 20 minutes to drill all of the holes.

To guide the CA into the hole, I straightened out a small paper clip,
stuck one end into the first hole, and allowed the CA to run down the
wire into the hole.  This technique worked very well, I think it's the
neatest application I've ever done, I'm going to use it in the future
even when I haven't drilled any holes.  Used just a little more than 2 oz.

The whole job took a little more than 2 1/2 hours, including schlepping
the toolkit from the parking lot, getting someone to unlock the
auditorium, removing the action, masking off the piano, drilling,
juicing, cleaning up and reassembling.

Tested several pins afterward, and definitely got plenty of CA to the
pinblock - there won't be any loose pin callbacks on this job.

Mike