[pianotech] Unusual Tuning fork

David Lawson dlawson at davidlawsonspianos.com.au
Sun Feb 27 20:55:41 MST 2011

Attached I have a photo of a rather different type of tuning fork. There are some parts missing which makes identifying it rather difficult. The plate on it suggests that it is controlled by a 3 volt battery, and the tuning fork itself vibrates at G 11. It is 218mm or 8 1/2" long. My first impression was that it perhaps came from a medical practice for deaf people, or the like. It is made in Japan and is over twenty years old. It has a number 100 stamped into the base of the fork and has two fine flat springs attached to the top of the prongs.
There is a copper coil attached to two terminals which could indicate the transferring of sound from there to a speaker perhaps!
I would be very interested if someone can come up with an identification of this item.
David Lawson OZ.