[pianotech] Kawai Grand w/Steinbuhler 7/8 Custom Keyboard

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 1 14:01:09 MST 2011

As someone who has done several of the regulations for Steinbuhler, I can attest the workmanship is first-rate.
These are designed for  players  who can't manage the hand span for some of the larger Romantic pieces. The 7/8th keyboard is his most popular, however he makes several small that than that. The shorter-designed keyboards  are for young, aspiring pianists who can manage the difficulties of say, Rachominof or List, but can't reach the 10ths. This gives them the opportunity to learn the pieces and eventually grown into a regular size keyboard.
Schools like SMU have a 7'8" keyboard which can be switched into their stage Steinway D,  which allows their ladies the opportunty to do larger works. Their one facutly member has one in her studio as well.
His concept is was to have a line of pianos with a introductory/starter-size keyboard, plus a regular size keyboard which could be installed later. He had pitched the idea to several manufuactures but the idea has yet to take took off.
As someone if a very large hand and fatty fingers, it has always been a struggle for me to adjust to his keyboards. Getting the fingers in between the sharps is nearly impossible.
But the fun side is that I can play a comfortable double octave with one hand.
Tom Servinsky