[pianotech] Kawai Grand w/Steinbuhler 7/8 Custom Keyboard

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 1 16:59:30 MST 2011

The lengths  of the natural and sharps are identical as a normal keyboard.
Only the width is narrowed.
Because the keyboard is shorter, larger cheek blocks are installed to fill
the gap at both ends.
The other most noticable aspect is the flare of the back end of the keys, as
the capstans have to  line up with the wippen cushions. I would say the
flare is close to a 30 degree outward slant op both the bass and high treble
end.
In order to maintain structural integrity of the key itself, the keys are
made up of 1/8" laminates (horizontally glued), resembling like pinblock
stock.
All of the keys are cut out with a CNC machine to the tightest of tolerances
possible. Plus he takes great care in at adhering to the key ratios in order
to have a good regulatable keyboard.
Tom Servinsky