[pianotech] Temperature for Pinblock Drilling

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Sun Jan 2 18:46:53 MST 2011

> From: Steven Hopp <hoppsmusic at hotmail.com>
> Date: January 2, 2011 4:56:56 PM EST
>
> I'm gonna go for it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steven Hopp
> Midland, TX

Hi Steven,

Especially because you are drilling in an unfamiliar environment, I am writing to suggest that you first drill many controlled samples in a scrap of the same pinblock material to be sure that you have the optimal spindle speed, feed rate, and drill bit size.  Then, pound in pins from the same batch of pins you will use for the block, using the same pin-driving fluid (if any) that you will use, and the same driving mechanism.  For your samples, keep everything as similar to your real block as possible, in order to have a good chance of gleaning accurate information from your samples.  For instance, I tend to clamp down my samples to a heavy bench before driving pins;  a small and unclamped scrap of pinblock will bounce around when driving pins, possibly resulting in a horizontally elongated hole and an inaccurate torque reading.  If you haven't done a lot of these, I also suggest that you mark all your samples and recheck their torque readings the next day before deciding on your process for drilling the actual block, as torque readings can change with time.

I tend to drill and drive samples for every block, but I am especially careful to do so if any aspect of the situation has changed from my previous block installations, such as a different pinblock material, or pins, or chuck, or air hammer, or, in your case, different temperature and humidity levels.

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh