[pianotech] year so far

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Jan 2 21:41:19 MST 2011

It's true, the IRS really doesn't like barter, in part because if it
became common it would be hard to find and prosecute. In some other
countries, the economic transactions without a paper trail can amount to
a quarter or more of the on-the-books economy.

However, if the dollar ever goes on life support and ceases to be a
viable currency, these person-to-person transactions, trading for
services or food or goods, could keep people going and provide some sort
of local economy.
We've gotten used to using a fiat currency (stretched till it screams by
people we will never see) for all transactions, but it doesn't hurt to
remember that in many other times and places, there were other ways of
dealing.

No wonder bankers hate precious metals. Seen the price of gold lately?
If you think that a dollar three or four years ago is still a dollar
now, look at the gold and silver prices. Ironically, people who sneered
at gold and silver when they were low now are tempted to buy. Has anyone
worked out what a piano tuning cost in silver in various eras?

Susan