[pianotech] year so far

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jan 3 08:38:50 MST 2011

Several things to do.

1.  	Higher end work is number one.  That doesn't necessarily mean only
accepting higher end pianos but increase the amount of work you do at each
job (and charge accordingly).  If those same 600 appointments start to
average 25% - 50% more your income will grow without you having to book more
appointments.  You can do that by simply going to a full service type of
appointment but you will probably need to ease that in place with your older
customers.   That means be aware of what those pianos you work on need and
work on selling the benefits.

2.	Add rebuilding work to your arsenal and start learning to do more.

3.	Piano brokering.  Offer to help individuals buy and sell pianos and
collect a fee.

4.  	Actually buy and sell pianos.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

We are at an interesting point. I can only stand to service a finite amount
of pianos - not more than around 600 per year. We've been developing our
piano sales business hoping that would provide more growth opportunities,
but it takes up a lot of time. We are reaching the point where about the
only way to grow our income is to raise our rates. Of course it is necessary
to raise rates at least 3% a year to keep up with inflation and avoid a "pay
cut".

Growing a business is an interesting and challenging game! I'm wondering
what the next step is...

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter
Olympia, WA