[pianotech] year so far

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Jan 3 11:17:42 MST 2011

On 1/3/2011 5:16 AM, Dean May wrote:
> >>A paid-for house remains worth exactly one house, whatever shysters
> do to the real estate market. Pay off the house, car, and credit
> cards, and watch your overhead plummet.
> You also have to worry about what the elected Mafia does with feudal
> rent payments (aka,real estate taxes). Otherwise excellent advice.
Hi, Dean

I thought about that when I was full of rejoicing when paying off my
house in full after my mother left me some money. "It's MINE, it's going
to just go on being MINE, no matter what! Countrywide is OUT OF MY
LIFE!" Then the cautious voice chimed in with, "'they' could still take
it away if they raised the property taxes a whole lot, and you didn't
have the money to pay them."

I think that the answer to this is, so many people are so deep in debt
that by the time I couldn't pay the property tax each year, there'd have
been riots in the streets.

As for property taxes being a form of organized crime, I disagree.  They
go to fund local government, schools, utility infrastructure, the fire
department, paramedics, public health, building inspectors, all the
things which keep a place fit to live in.

Susan Kline