[pianotech] key making specs

Mike Morvan keymaestro at verizon.net
Mon Jan 3 18:13:20 MST 2011

Dave,
    We've made new keysets and have used maple and basswood for the shoes
and buttons, most customers will specify what they want. We also make new
button stock out of basswood, soft maple and poplar and up until a few years
ago we've sold mostly basswood, now the trend is reversing, last year we
sold 3 sets of maple to every 1 set of basswood. The hardwoods are
definitely popular now.  Having  had the good fortune of working on new and
old keyboards from Germany, Japan, China, England, and the U.S. we are quite
surprised at the different schools of thought. Some manufacturers are using
basswood, maple, cherry, poplar or beech for buttons and shoes (both
flatsawn and quartersawn) and some manufacturers are not using shoes,
buttons or inserts at all, simply relying on the sugarpine, spruce or
basswood material that the keystick is made up of for the balance hole,
which is insufficient and probably part of the reason that other harder
woods are being sought out for these spots. I've also seen the same
manufacturer use different materials for buttons, shoes and keysticks
depending on the cost of the piano and whether it was an upright or grand.
Having said that, it gets real confusing as to what is trying to be
accomplished and why. Quality and longevity? Cost? Ease of manufacture? Who
knows, but I do know this:
What causes