[pianotech] Any Ideas: Museum......rebuild funding

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Jan 4 10:33:34 MST 2011

Yes, it is going to need pretty much everything. I agree that the first
thing that needs to be done is to clarify, not just what needs to be done,
but what can be done; there may be restrictions on this. This piano was
undoubtedly a donation to the museum. As such, it may have come with certain
restrictions on just what can and cannot be done to the instrument. I was
involved in one situation where it was discovered that the original donation
documents required that any work done on the instrument be done in a
historically authentic manner. I don't remember how this was actually worded
but the museum took it to mean that the instrument could be restored but not
changed in any significant way. If this is the case you're going to have to
find someone who can work with that Brown action. You may also have to work
with the original soundboard and bridge set.

Point being, it's always good to check first. Then get some viable estimates
so fund raising targets can be established. Once a final figure is known the
committee can start selling keys (there are 88 of them-or 85, I don't
remember) for however much each (everybody gets their name on a nice,
professionally drawn [also a donation] keyboard that hangs in the lobby).
They can start having fund raising benefit performances on the original
instrument where the chair of the committee explains how much better the
instrument will look and sound once the audience has donated enough to have
the restoration project completed.

If they can generate adequate community support they might well be surprised
at how quickly this might all happen. We sold a rebuilt piano to a
community-owned theatre (also in the process of being restored) that managed
to raise the needed funds in about six months. And this in a very
economically depressed area. It takes finding someone to head up the project
who is really enthusiastic about it; that enthusiasm tends to rub off.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue