[pianotech] overdamper piano or bird cage piano

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 4 12:14:44 MST 2011

Hi Everyone,
I received an e-mail today regarding a piano that a potential customer is having shipped from the UK.  said, "it is a straight strung, overdamped piano in good working condition..."  My questions are, is there anything special I would need to do prior to tuning it i.e. remove anything out of the way of the tuning pins, obtain any special tips for my tuning lever?  Does the term "strait strung" refer to a different set up as to how the strings are tuned? For example a screw stringer piano once we reach the intuneness of the note we don't pull it above pitch to settle it in as I've been taught.  So any ideas would be great.  I've never tuned one of these before so I want to make sure I'm not missing anything special that might need to be done or a special technique or procedure.  Thanks everyone.
Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com