[pianotech] bird cage piano tweet tweet

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Jan 4 15:56:19 MST 2011

Hi, Marshall

They often have regular square pins, but usually #1's. While you order
the oval head tip, it wouldn be a good idea to buy a #1 tip if you don't
already have one. Sometimes your #2 tip just won't quite grab on them,
and even if it does it has a ton of slack. It's nice to have a spare
tuning hammer -- doesn't need to be anything fancy -- for odd-sized
tips, so you don't have to undo your normal one each time. Plus it can
be used if something happens to your everyday one.

It might be a normal overdamper birdcage sort of piano, or it may be one
stage earlier, a "sticker" piano with vellum hinges instead of flanges,
and even a wooden plate instead of metal. If so, it's going to be REALLY
fragile, and hard to fix. Plus the tuning might not really be very good
or stable. If it is this earlier kind of overdamper, and it's below
pitch, I'd try to get them to agree to leave it down, and just tune it
to itself.

Makes a garden variety birdcage seem really robust.

Sometimes one needs to adjust the dampers a little bit so they don't
leak quite so badly. Don't try for superb damping -- they aren't going
to do it, and they weren't even really designed for it.

The music desk hangs on hinges at the top of the front (the part you
will remove.) Hold the bottom where the music sits and swing it to the
side (I think usually to the right) and it will scissor together flat
and can be folded inside up near the top. Fold it up before you take the
front off, to get it safe and out of the way.

Good luck -- maybe it will be above average for its class.

Susan

P.S. Be sure you have a Papp's mute. You'll want to reach through the
birdcage and action and be able to pluck across the strings to find out
where you are. People usually have written note names up near the tuning
pins to help navigate by, but I doubt that will help you? Hearing the
pitch by plucking with the Papp's mute will probably help a lot.