[pianotech] tuning tips

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Jan 4 20:37:20 MST 2011

Hi, Marshall

I don't know what setup you already have. I think that most outfits
probably come with a #2 tip. Actually, once in awhile you need a #3 tip
as well, the bigger one, for pianos which have been rebuilt with bigger
pins. It doesn't happen often, but once in awhile one will appear, and
you want to have the #3 tip on hand to avoid the delay of ordering one.

I prefer a short head (7/8") at a steep angle (20 degrees), but it's
something everyone should decide, since tastes differ. Actually, the
steepest angle Schaff offers is 15 degrees. I bought this head from Jim
Coleman, Jr., at a convention years ago.

Whatever head you buy should accept any tip. If you set aside a second
tuning hammer for unusual tips, you can change from one to another
without too much trouble. You do need a tip wrench. What you do is to
insert it into the tip you want to remove, put it flat on the floor, and
stand on it. Then move the tuning hammer (which will be standing up) in
the direction to loosen the head.

Susan