[pianotech] Restoring Museum Pianos

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Jan 4 20:58:24 MST 2011

I remember vividly when I came across a long Chickering with a Brown
action in it, needing tuning and regulation. The owner played on it a
lot. People had tried to expand letoff to get rid of bobbling hammers
the ordinary way, and of course that did not work.

I took the action and keys home. I remember how big they were - I had to
take the top three hammers off to get it into the Tercel hatchback, and
it still barely left room for me to drive.

At home I puzzled out how it was put together, saw that I'd need to
bolster out one piece of cloth on a wide rail to get it to work, turned
it over, and found the rail under the piece of cloth had a slot for
adjustment. Eureka! Did it, bobbling hammers magically started working
right.

It was way fun.

What a travesty it would be to take the Brown action out of one of those
old beasts and replace it with generic modern, especially for a museum!
They AREN'T THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT. I did it from a standing start,
with no aid or preparation. My unasked-for advice: replace only what you
absolutely need to, and put in something as close to what you are taking
out as possible.

Susan Kline