[pianotech] Tuning a Square

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Jan 4 21:09:53 MST 2011

 From a long time ago, when I used to tune squares, I remember taking
out the whole damper assembly -- it lifts right off. In exchange for the
noisiness one can trace which string is which much more easily.

If it has oblong pins, you might try what I did: I got one of those
extenders which take a tip on the bottom and have a square conventional
tuning pin shape on the top. I put the oblong tip on it. That way I
could move the oblong tip from note to note without the tuning hammer
being attached. It was much easier. Then I'd use my tuning hammer with
the ordinary #2 tip to turn the little tower of oblong tip plus
extender. It was a little sloppy, but not that bad. Saved a lot of
poising the tuning hammer over the pins, trying to find the right one,
and having to tune at awkward angles because of the oblong tip. (180
degrees between the two options instead of the eight positions of the
star tip.) If you use the extension lever pulled all the way out, you
won't have to bend over quite so far, except for the short time it takes
to move the oblong tip/extender from tuning pin to tuning pin. It feels
a little precarious, with the long tuning hammer wobbling around that
far above the pins, but I don't remember it falling off.

At least the wire won't be brittle and ready to pop.

Susan Kline