[pianotech] Restoring Museum Pianos

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 5 09:08:00 MST 2011

On 1/5/2011 9:20 AM, David Love wrote:
> Speaking of old Chickerings, here's one.  I've included a picture of the
> bridge configuration.

One very like this resides in the parlor of a local convent. You can
lean inside, look down, and see your feet through the cracks. They used
to ask occasionally what it would cost to "get it working", but the
answer always failed to meet the budget by a couple of orders of
magnitude. So it sat, and poor Sister Theresa (I forget her name) played
it anyway year after year.

As Joe said, these aren't plentiful, but they aren't particularly
historically relevant rarities either. As to what Chickering's intent
was for sound production, serviceability, or anything else; that has
been the mystery through what seems like hundreds of wild (some radical)
design experiments through Chickering's history. The old man apparently
never found what he was looking for, as the designs never stabilized.
What a dream job though - build anything you'd like to try today, sell
everything you make, and let the academics, engineers, and mechanics
ponder it in perpetuity!

In the room with the Chickering sits the most gorgeous table I've ever
seen. It's Brazilian rosewood, with legs somewhat like those on the
Chickering. Visually, the proportions are very pleasing and comfortable,
to me at least. The top and "skirt" are just bulky enough to balance the
legs, and the total effect is an unusual blend of delicate grace and
power. It's a chopped square.

Ron N