[pianotech] Restoring Museum Pianos

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 5 10:07:02 MST 2011

On 1/5/2011 10:53 AM, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
> Granted, the piano in question is probably not the only one in existence. It
> does, however, reside in a museum and museums have a somewhat different
> mandate than does your typical recital hall or, for that matter, convent.

Understood, in which case the owner, as in any other case, will decide
the criteria and sanction any actions taken in restoration.

> As you say, old Jonas produced a lot of strange and wonderful instruments
> during his career and I've learned a lot from studying them and trying to
> figure out what he might have been thinking. He didn't make this one,
> however. Jonas died toward the end of 1854, just before his new
> steam-powered factory was completed. The piano shown in David's pictures
> would have been built by his sons (at least a couple of whom may have been
> just as wacko as the old man).

May have been is right. From a personal standpoint, faced with dealing
with the surviving results of the crime, the identity of the perpetrator
becomes sort of moot.

Ron N