[pianotech] Appropriate replacement hammers for Winter spinet?

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Wed Jan 5 18:24:08 MST 2011

Kurt,
Use Ronsen. Email Ray @ Ronsen and tell your situation, He'll fix you up with the appropriate hammers.
Roger Gable
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kurt Baxter
  To: Pianotech List
  Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 3:49 PM
  Subject: [pianotech] Appropriate replacement hammers for Winter spinet?

  I know, the correct answer is "none", but hear me out...

  I just did an evaluation on an actually rather pretty Winter spinet from the 40s (post ivory, pre plastic elbows). The piano has sentimental value, has been in the family a long time, and was refinished (skillfully) by the wife's father. It's one of those ornate "grand lyre" style cases with beautifully book-matched semi-burled walnut.

  Besides a handful of other more minor problems, the big one is that the hammer felt is falling off. A few hammers have been replaced (poorly), some have been "repaired" with a thumb tack, about 6 are missing felt completely, and quite a few more are starting to tear off. I told the customer that the piano cannot be made playable without new hammers, and they want to go ahead with the repairs.

  The customer is pleased with the tone/touch of the piano as-is, so my goal is to match the character and weight of the original hammers as closely as possible.

  Will I be able to buy hammers that are small/soft enough to be appropriate? Cold or hot pressed?

  Are there any unique problems involved in rehammering a spinet?

  I get the impression spinets seldom (if ever) get new hammers, so I was wondering if there was any reason besides the obvious "costs more than the piano is worth" issue, which is not a relevant factor in this case.

  -kurt