[pianotech] Tuning a Square

John Ross jrpiano at eastlink.ca
Wed Jan 5 19:07:54 MST 2011

Before I stopped doing them, because of always getting a sore back.
I had the customer hit the keys, and I stood in behind using the tuning hammer.
I of course removed the top cover first.
My back didn't get sore, but I still didn't enjoy the experience enough, to continue doing them.
Another problem I had with them, was when two hammers touched, I would remove the action to space the hammers then something else would always happen, so much more time was required.
I was never satisfied with the end result. Even although the customer thought that it sounded so much better, and all the keys worked.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.