[pianotech] Office work: Hire or not?

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Jan 5 22:06:12 MST 2011

First, case in point. Back in 1990 I needed a new computer. The one I had been using was so out of date, that transferring my customer data base to the new computer would not work. So I hired a lady to work 8 - 10 hours a week, at her descretion, to literally enter all of my customers into the new computer.  In addition to doing that, I told her to do my weekly "paper work", enter customer information, make out deposits, making out checks to be paid, etc. etc. Because she worked when I was out tuning, I didn't see her for about four weeks. But when I did, I asked her how it was going. She said she had only competed entering new customers up to the end of the B's, because she was spending 6 - 8 hours a week just keeping up with my paper work. That's when I realized that this about how much time I was spending every week. So I increased her hours, so she could do both keep up with my paper work, and enter all the customers.

Unless, as with William, you can't afford it, and you're doing all of your paper work in the evening, and it's not cutting into your family time, and/or work time, hiring someone on a part time basis is the way to go.  There are lots of housewives, college students, retired people, who would love to work 8 - 10 flexible hours a week.

Just my thought on this matter.

Wim

PS. Unfortunately, although I don't have any kids at home any more, I'm in the same postion as William, But hopefully business will be a lot better this year,