[pianotech] Appropriate replacement hammers for Winter spinet?

Kurt Baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 17:18:10 MST 2011

*A spinet? Well, not just ANY spinet - how 'bout a 1948 Wurly spinet from
> Mars (or, obviously from somewhere else in the solar system)?*

That is one gorgeous piece of art deco furniture right there. I think a
handful of the more interesting of these old spinets will end up as
"playable antiques", and the next generation will develop a qualified
appreciation for them, much as this generation has for squares, birdcages,
etc.

Personally I think these little low-tension pianos sound great playing Bach,
Mozart, folk, even ragtime... anything with a plucky character, limited
range (octave and dynamic) and modest technical demands. Beethoven and
Chopin? Not so much...

*I know there are jacks down there somewhere, because I can hear them
> laughing at me.*

Due to word inflation, "lol" is not enough. I *actually* laughed out loud.

*I'm sure you can't. Is the felt as "tight" on any 50 year old piano as they
> originally were? I've CA glued many hammer felts and they sound just as bad
> as the intact hammers next to them and all the rest of the sorry little
> piano.*

Yeah, I have tried gluing hammers like this back in place and they sound
surprisingly similar to the neighboring notes. That is, not very good, but
not that different. The bass section with like 6 missing hammer felts is
more worrisome to me, as I would have find/salvage a whole bunch of
"matching" hammers, and I'm pretty sure that WILL sound noticeably
different. Also I am worried that once this piano starts actually being
played, the rest of the hammers are going to start dropping like flies.

*Being that the informed owner wishes to do so, indeed! I'll admit, I'd like
> to hear it after a good new hammer installation.....*

Hopefully I can post an update when I'm all done!
Thanks for everyone's input, it has been very illuminating.

-kurt