[pianotech] Bass String Length Mismatch Tuning Trouble

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jan 7 04:49:28 MST 2011

I don't have much experience with un-equal length bass string unisons
that can't be tuned beatless being fixed with new equal-length
strings. Has anyone done this, and can anyone offer an experienced
opinion on whether lengths of a couple millimeters difference in the
wrapped speaking length in a pair of unisons would commonly present
tuning problems? Needless to say (I think?), I found all the bicord
pairs in the picture below to be impossible to tune beatless - the
best I could do was leave most of 'em with slow roll. A few were a
fair bit worse. The wrap terminations are at the same position (equal
distant from speaking bridge pins) at the bridge end, thus rendering
unequal wrapped speaking lengths.

The work on this Baldwin F blew me away - it was "rebuilt" by a
company that is quite arguably the most respected in my area (or at
least best known because of brand affiliation).

If you ordered a set of strings, installed them and saw this, wouldn't
you send the back to the string maker (after checking your
measurements again to make sure you didn't provide bogus data)?

Terry Farrell