[pianotech] Bass String Length Mismatch Tuning Trouble

Brian Trout brian_trout at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 7 06:49:48 MST 2011

From: mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 08:25:15 -0500
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Bass String Length Mismatch Tuning Trouble
Yup, somebody screwed up.  Kinda seems as though the people stringing it would have done a time out for some serious investigation after about the second unison.

In a different design layout, I could see how something could happen that the highest string could be "lost" and the stringer starting with the second half of the first bichord as the first, the first string of the second bichord as the last half of the first bichord unison, and so on until the "oops, they forgot a string".  But not with this layout.  If that were the case, the tail ends would be all messed up too, and they look pretty good from what I can see in the picture.

The big question is, who's gonna take responsibility?  Was it the stringmaker that messed up?  Or were they only doing exactly what they were told by the tech ordering strings?  If the tech is that well respected, I'm surprised they went ahead and installed them, let alone doing multiple tunings (which can't have sounded good??) and letting this thing go.

At this point, it'll be either "live with it" or get some new strings on there.  And unless somebody steps up to the plate (stringmaker? original tech?... they could just point fingers at each other, but I could be wrong), it's probably gonna be the owner sucking it up one way or another.

Stuff happens.  That's life.  But this thing should have never gotten out of the rebuilder's shop like this.

Sad...

Brian

The wrap terminations are at the same position (equal
distant from speaking bridge pins) at the bridge end, thus rendering
unequal wrapped speaking lengths.
Photo below - same piano, bridge end. Wrap positioning very even.

Terry Farrell