[pianotech] Yamaha Upright String Breaker

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Jan 8 13:07:35 MST 2011

I think this happened when Yamaha bought out the old Everett factory and
decided to use what was there instead of bringing everything in from
Japan. I had quite a bit of trouble with some of the P202's, in the bass
only.

The bass strings approach from an extremely steep angle, especially the
lower of the pairs. If they had managed to drill the tuning pin holes
leaning, so that the approaching wire was closer to 90 degrees, they
wouldn't have had this breakage (IMO.) The wire binds very severely
right where the coil starts.

Susan