[pianotech] London Piano Mfg

Stan Ragnes stanragnes at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 14:46:44 MST 2011

Yesterday, I was asked to tune and repair an older piano.  Little did I know it
wasn't just an old piano, it was a piano that I've never seen before.  It was a
Cons & Cons #5860.  It was made in London and retailed in A R Findlay's music
store located on 110 West Nile Street, Glasco, Scotland.  It was lovingly
brought over to the US by my client's parents who had had it restrung, repinned
and replaced a few dampers.

My client wanted it to be restored in working condition as it wouldn't play.
Luck was on my side and I figured it out plus repaired the broken parts and
thanks also to Protek got it up and running again.

To perform a tuning, the dampers must be removed.  They rest on top of the
action and are engaged when the key goes up and pushes a damper rod located
above the action.

The case is in beautiful shape. . . and I'm wondering if anyone have any
contacts who might be able to help me value this piano?  Also, anyone who might
have some tips on tuning a piano that's as live as can be w/o dampers.

Thanks,

Stan the piano man