[pianotech] London Piano Mfg

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Jan 8 17:56:27 MST 2011

On 1/8/2011 3:20 PM, John Delacour wrote:
> I've never heard of anybody tuning a piano without removing the
> celeste rail.  Next thing I'll be hearing is that someone couldn't
> tune a piano because the top door was in the way.

Just issue him a learner's permit. <grin> Some of us have never seen one
of these, and never talked with people who have tuned them. I remember
the time when I tried to pull out the action of a Viennese grand where
the case had warped too much for it to clear. The good part of that was
that the lady in the clock shop who kept importing worn out barely
playing ones without knowing how to check them out in Austria  stopped
doing it. I was really sweating bullets, and I had to straighten out a
lot of the damper wires through the strings once it was back in. I
prevailed, but OMIGOD.

Anyeone with any experience of old warped Viennese grands would never
have tried it in the first place, and I certainly never did again!

Susan