[pianotech] pitch and temperature

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 9 14:22:23 MST 2011

On 1/9/2011 2:28 PM, Gene Nelson wrote:
> Curious if anyone knows of a reasonably accurate method to predict pitch
> change in a piano based on temperature change?
> Gene Nelson

Gut Nichols had a system he liked, but I don't remember his numbers off
the top. The problem is that it's time dependent. It might change 2¢/°F
on a minute by minute basis under stage lights, but in the long run it
doesn't seem to make a tremendous difference. Short term, the strings
react first. Give the plate time to catch up, and the overall difference
isn't that much. I've tuned in homes where the tuning changed back and
forth as the furnace cycled.
Ron N