[pianotech] correction

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 17:01:48 MST 2011

At 17:15 -0500 09/01/2011, Marshall Gisondi wrote:

>Sorry I meant celeste rail.  I'm curious as to this name.  Is that
>the same as calling a jack a fly, toe a tender, knee board, front
>panel etc?

It's just that terminology differs from country to country.  In
England we always refer to the celeste rail and order celeste felt
for it.  Nearly everybody call the jack the jack but 20 years ago
some of the old boys would call it the hopper or the fly.  Steinway
took out a patent for a Key Bottom in 1880.  Americans now call this
the keybed, which here is something different.  We talk of the key
bottom and of the back bottom, where the toe leg attaches.

Now a question of terminology from me : the grand damper assembly is
screwed to the front of what we call the crossblock and the front of
the belly is glued to the belly rail, but what is the name of the
horizontal rail cantilevered over the dampers to which the belly rail
is glued?

JD